Because I'm cool like that...

The adventures of a knitter in Tucson, AZ.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Three Month Challenge? What 3 month challenge?

I am down in Kombo, before my 3 month challenge is over. Why? Because I am breaking the rules? Becaues I throw caution to the wind? No. Becasue I am scared of Barbara. just kidding. I love Barbara. The Med Unit said "Come get your flu shot or else". And I am always scared that people will follow through on their or else. So I got a ride in the ambulance, and 11 hours later was down in Kombo. That was Wensday. I was going to leave yesterday, but Allyson is ETing, so I wanted to say bye to her. I will miss her, but I do understand.

Diabugu is awsome. I mostly work at the hospital. THe people there are great, and I get to traumatize small children all day (and just think of how bad it would be if I actualy stuck them with needles, instead of handiling the paperwork?). My family is great. HUGE. In the compound there are...4 brothers, I think. And their wives. And their children. And their sons wives, and their children. And random people who showed up for Tobaski and haven't left.

I am out in the bush, but I like it. At nite sometimes I can hear the hyenas. Since I am in a large villige, and in the middle of the village, I am not afraid of them at all. There is a donkey pen that is next door to my house (litteraly. We share a fence). Um...a well in our compound, which is cool, and a tap that turns on once a day for drinking water. And mosquitoes that live in our latrines. That is anoying.

Oh, and the horse. Tamara doesn't beleive me, but this horse has bad plans for me. It is young, and i ma sure it is just waiting until it is bigger than I am. It climbs on my porch and stands in frount of my door and stares at me. Or walks by while I am on the bantaba and stares at me. It wants to hurt me. I am sure of this. And it is not a Larium paranoia!! The larium makes my hair fall out, not be paranoid.

Speaking of fear...just a cute story and I needed a segue...In Diabugu right now, there are Spanish doctors visiting. They come once a year. The other day they came by my compound to speak to my host father about something. Anyway, Mohamadou, my host fathers first wifes youngest son (he's maybe 2ish) came out of the hallway in the house and saw two of them sitting in the room. He FREAKED OUT. The tubobs terrified him. He starts crying and screaming. For me!! "Aggggg!!!! Manda!! Manda!!" So I had to go and recue him from the scary tubobs. It was funny. I am still laughing about it.

3 Comments:

At 6:22 AM MST, Blogger Rachel said...

Your blog is GREAT!!!!!! It's so enjoyable :o) Thanks!!! I found it b/c ... I'm about to move to Banjul from Dakar for my internship. I know absolutely NO ONE in the entire country of The Gambia, so I have been google searching ex-pats to try to find friends!!! Ha ha ha, sad but true. Anyway, I have really enjoyed reading your blog! It makes me even more excited to make the move down there.

 
At 6:22 AM MST, Blogger Rachel said...

ps I knit too. Knitting rocks. Also needlepointing.

 
At 11:40 AM MST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m in the process of doing some massive ring maintenance for the FiberArts Bloggers ring and I am contacting you because there’s a problem you may have noticed with your code. I will go ahead and e-mail you the basic ring code now, but if you don’t get it please let me know.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns. Once you have your code up, if you want to send me a note I’d appreciate it, so I can check it out. Thanks!
Joni

 

Post a Comment

<< Home