Because I'm cool like that...

The adventures of a knitter in Tucson, AZ.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Are You Addicted to Yarn?

According to the DSM-IV the definition of addiction is a maladaptive pattern of substance use, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:
(1) Tolerance, as defined by either of the following: a. A need for markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve intoxication or desired effect. The increasing need for more and more yarn. In more and more fiberous content. Just one skein of mohair just isn't enough anymore b. Markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance. There was a time when a 2 skein scarf would do it for you. You'd finish and be so proud of yourself. Now you need CABLES.
(2) Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following: a. The
characteristic withdrawal syndrome for the substance your hands start twitching while standing in line somewhere because you don't have any needles in them b. The same (or a closely related) substance is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms. Refusing to sharpen your pensils because your teacher won't alow your knitting in class, and you can almost pretend that they are wooden neeldes. (3) The substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended (loss of control). "Just one more row" becomes your new greeting. (4) There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use (loss of control). What? Cut down? Hah! That's a funny one... (5) A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance, use the substance, or recover from its effects (preoccupation). Hmm. a LYS is looking for part time help... (6) Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use (continuation despite adverse consequences). Ya, school and work are totaly cutting into my knitting time. Luckily, I have begun converting my friends into the knitting cult. (7) The substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance (adverse consequences). I am firmly convinced that my knitting is the only thing standing between me, a chainsaw and the Admin building...

They also list some signs that you might have an addiction:
Abrupt changes in work or school attendance, quality of work, work output, grades, discipline. Ya, like I said, school and work are totaly cutting into my knitting time...
Unusual flare-ups or outbreaks of temper. Hey, that was a totaly understandable flare up!! My cat ATE my yarn!! Just because all the neighbors came rushing over, doesn't matter.
Withdrawal from responsibility. Eh, I've never been that responcible to begin with.
Continual wearing of long-sleeved garments particularly in hot weather or reluctance to wear short sleeved attire when appropriate. Dammit, I spent 6 months knitting that sweater, I'm gonna wear it, even if it is 106 out!
Association with known substance abusers. Stitch 'N Bitch, need I say more?
Secretive behavior regarding actions and possessions; poorly concealed attempts to avoid attention and suspicion. What? That huge rubbermaid container? No, no, it doesn't contain yarn. Really, I don't have that much yarn, so going out and getting more is really a necessity. In my bag? Um...books. Ya, books. No, really, I've been at the library, not the yarn store.

SHould this worry me? Nah, it just means that I don't have enough yarn or knitting time...Ya, the only problom I have is not enough yarn or time to knit. Besides, until the Surgeon General puts warning lables on my yarn, and I see them...hehe. Ignorance is bliss, right? So, how many of you are addicted?

7 Comments:

At 5:13 PM MST, Blogger Lisa said...

My name is Lisa and I am a Compulsive Hooker, with multiple addictions. YAS & PAS among them (Yarn Aquisition Syndrome and Pattern Aquisition Syndrom). Altho we approach our addictions differently, we share much.

I love your post. I plan to mention it in my blog.

 
At 6:01 PM MST, Blogger Teri S. said...

Hmmm...I think I'm addicted. "No, honey, I'm not going to buy anything at the yarn store; Beth wants me to go with her." Okay, so now how do I sneak the 15 skeins of yarn that I just bought into the house? "Oh, this is work. It's a Christmas gift." Which is how I rationalize the time I spend knitting when my husband tells me all I do is knit (which, by the way, isn't true...yet.) Wonderful post!

 
At 7:00 AM MST, Blogger Maureen said...

I just have to add this to your list....You know you're a yarnaholic when you see a sign on a lawn that's says "Yarn Sale" and when you take a second look you realize it says "Yard Sale"! (BTW...this really happened to me!) Loved your post.

 
At 7:06 AM MST, Blogger Jane's Hooked on Crochet said...

My name is Jane and I am a yarnaholic. I also suffer from PAS and HAS (hook aquisition syndrome). I'll also admit that I suffer from "just one more row". But I don't need a 12-step program. Do I?

 
At 1:13 AM MST, Blogger Kimberly said...

Hi! I'm Kimberly, I'm addicted to yarn, and I'm proud to admit it! No, I did not buy those two new totes for future yarn purchases...they are to be used as foot stools...yeah, yeah, thats it!!

Great post! Do you mind if I put a link to it on the Yarn Addicts Web Ring page?

 
At 2:33 PM MST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES - I could start my own shop. I am a crocheter 66 yrs.& knitter 20 yrs. Have humongous stash, so-o-o many needles & hooks + spinning wheel (& bags of fibers & carding mach. Books & patterns galore and not enough time to devote. I also do needlepoint, embroidery/crewel & sewing. Darn farm critters demand to be fed & taken care of on time!! NOW I have discovered pertinent sites on the computer. Only 50(avg) E-mails daily to peruse. WOW!!

 
At 4:28 AM MST, Blogger The Yarn Lady said...

Whenever I go into a yarn shop, I cant seem to help buying at least a few skeins!!! Whether its the texture, the color or the combination of both there are some yarns that just seem to be calling out my name! Sometimes I dont even know what I want to use them for, Im happy to just look at them and touch them :)

Im so glad to discover there are more of you out there!!

Why do you think yarn has this mesmerising effect?

For me it usually thick and bulky yarns in subdued pastel colours…what are the yarns that connect with you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home