Because I'm cool like that...

The adventures of a knitter in Tucson, AZ.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Hi, I'm new and my life sucks more than yours...

Why does that seem to be the intro post to all knitting groups? I am on a couple of knitting e-lists, and it seems whenever someone new joins, they give their intro post, and it has all the usual stuff..."Hi, I have been knitting X years and I am X old, and I live in X part of the country." And all that is cool. But then the add "and I have XYZ illnesses, and ABC is wrong with my life, oh, and did I mention my divorce and my sick cat and aren't I cool because my life is pathetic?"
I mean, why do I care? This is a group about knitting. An e-mail group about knitting. I will never meet you. Why do I care that you were in an accident 20 years ago? And why does that need to be the first thing you say? Do you walk up to a stranger on the street and tell them your life story? No? Then why walk up to a group of strangers on the interent and do it? Oy...

On other news the shawl is nearing it's third skein. I need to find a better way to join. It is cotton. When I use wool, I splice and felt the join. With acrylic I usualy knot it, but with this... I tried this one that a friend told me, knit the two strands together for several stitches, but then you have these ends just hanging there, and it is lace so weaving them in is difficult...
So, my cyberbuddies...what is your favorite joining technique?

2 Comments:

At 8:22 AM MST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For lace I just pick the best spot for weaving in (sometimes down the edge), regardless of how much more yarn I have to go, and knit the two strands at once for only two stitches. It seems to work!

I hear you on the depressed people! I bet they "don't want anyone to feel sorry for them either". sheesh!

 
At 12:18 PM MST, Blogger Rain said...

Have you heard of a Russian join? I use those for joining in lace. Googling should bring up a picture tutorial.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home