Because I'm cool like that...

The adventures of a knitter in Tucson, AZ.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Le Sigh...

Questions 1-3 passed. Granted, not by a huge margin, but they all passed. Hey, KGUN9, in what universe is a 60-40 split on a vote a "sweeping landslide victory"?

I am reading The Yarn Harlot's blog, and she is talking about the flooding of her basement. And on the news, they are showing pictures of the East Coast under water (one anchor said that the pictures were reminicint of Katrina.). I am not nieve enough to think the entier East Coast is flooding, since I remember a couple summers ago when a friend from New Jersey called asking why I was still at home, and did I need money to evacuate, since the news said that Tucson was buring (yes, we had a lot of smoke, but the fire never got past the Foothills), and I understand how the news exaggerates.
But, the sight of all that water ignoring the destruction, of course makes me a little jelous...
You see...so far this year, we have had less than half an inch of rain. The news at 11 today, before I came to work, said ".41". POINT FOUR ONE INCHES!!! Our average by this time is a little over 3 inches. Our yearly average is suuposed to be around 7, but I can't remember the last time we actualy hit that. We rain twice a year: the summer monsoons and the winter monsoons. We are the people who, when we hear of hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico, or in California, we are happy, becuase that means we will be getting rain in a week or two. This last hurricane season? Nothing. Nada. Katrina, Rita, Wilma, whatever other storms there were...not a friggin drop. We need rain. Badly.
Nature sucks sometimes. Yes, you can scroll down, and see all the beutiful pics of the desert. But then you think of the people in Toronto and along the East Coast who are being flooded, and the areas who desperatly need rain are bone dry. TOTALY NOT FAIR. HEY, Nature!! Listen up!! Stop raining on the East Coast. They have had enough. Now, come WEST. Keep comming. You will hit the Oklahoma/Texas/New Mexico stretch. I know it is boring, and like a bad episode of teh Twilight ZOne (driving to school in MO, I would fall asleep, wake up 2 hours later, and it looked like we hadn't moved more than a mile), but keep going. Now, when you see funky shapped plants, thoes are called "cactus". Ignore the Joshua Trees, you are to far North. Keep comming South, until you see cactus who's siloettes look like people. Now, drop the rain. The East Coasters will thank you, and we will start sacrificing sheep or something to you. After all, isn't that what they do in Englad to make the sun go away? really great story...I'll tell it someday

3 Comments:

At 1:36 AM MST, Blogger Rain said...

We're lacking rain too although not to the same extent. They are warning of severe droughts this summer, but it tends to hit the south rather than here. I think nature needs a kick up the bum and governments that don't take environmental protection seriously need holding at gunpoint.

 
At 6:48 PM MST, Blogger Teri S. said...

Well, all that rain was in the Northeast. Virginia didn't get a lot of rain, even though the forecasters said we would. And this weekend has been beautiful (at least at my parents' house). I don't think Nature needs a kick up the bum so much as governments need to be taking environmental protection seriously. Maybe Nature is the one holding the gun.

 
At 1:55 PM MST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I kept forgetting you had your own knitting blog, so I'm just going to add your blog to my list of friend's blogs that I read (that aren't LJ), so I will be more up to date on what you're doing.

That said, I have a knitting question for you. Awhile back, Gabby was knitting a scarf (flat) using Caron's Simply Soft. I saw them at Wal-Mart, and they really are soft! I would like to knit a scarf IN THE ROUND (like you said, it's the only real way to do it). In order for it to not be too wide, I should use a 16" circ, right? The only circ I have in that size is 10.5, which in my opinion, is way too big for the worsted weight Caron - I'm thinking I should have a 6 or 8. What do you think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home